MUCH ENTHUSIASM SHOWN

AT MASS MEETING.--COACH HAUGHTON AND DEAN BRIGGS SPOKE.

The fourth and last mass meeting of the year, held in the Union last evening, was marked by great enthusiasm, over 1200 men attending. H. L. Gaddis '12 presided over the meeting and introduced the speakers, Coach Haughton and Dean Briggs.

Coach Haughton's Speech.

Coach Haughton, who spoke first, said that a mass meeting of the kind held last evening afforded a great deal of pleasure to him because by means of it he is enabled to see the undergraduates face to face, and seems to become personally acquainted with them.

Last winter when the football schedule was planned, it was decided that hard games would be of more benefit than easy ones; it was also decided that five hard games in succession were too many for one team, and therefore the Carlisle game was arranged with the intention of playing substitutes in it. The players were informed of this at the beginning of the season. When the Carlisle game finally came around, injuries and scholarship prevented from playing eight of the men, whom the coaches had originally counted on last spring. Therefore, the team which played Carlisle, instead of being second string was practically third string. The Indians won. The "football family" consider such a defeat no disgrace, although there was considerable criticism concerning it from outsiders.

Another matter on which there has been much adverse criticism is in connection with coaching from the side lines. Coach Haughton said that he had never intentionally coached from the side-lines and never would. He has tried to train his teams to meet every exigency on the field, and thereby to win.

In regard to this year's team, he said that although crude in the finer points of the game, it has wonderful spirit and exceptional fighting ability. If the team is backed by the right kind of spirit on the part of the undergraduates it ought to win in Saturday's game with Yale.

Dean Briggs's Speech.

Dean Briggs warned the undergraduates against over-confidence, and said that the University as a whole, as well as the members of the team, would be a great deal better off if they paid more attention to their present work and less to Yale in the week preceding the big game.

He pointed out the foolishness of ever saying that Yale is easy to beat; it is as foolish as saying that it is impossible for Harvard to win. The fact should never be lost sight of that Yale teams have back of them. Walter Camp, the father of American football and perhaps the greatest strategist of the game.