Principal Penalties

Off Side.

By side in possession of the ball.-Loss of 5 yards, down and point to be gained remaining the same.

By side not in possession of the ball.-Loss of 5 yards, ensuing first down.

Holding and Unlawful Use of Hands.

By side in possession of the ball.-Loss of 15 yards, down and point to be gained remaining the same.

Tackling Below the Knee.

Loss of 5 yards from spot where tackle was made.

Hurdling, Tripping, Piling Up, Coaching from Side Line, Interlocked Interference.

Loss of 15 yards.

Unsportsmanlike Conduct.

Disqualification.

Unnecessary Roughness.

Disqualification or 15 yards, depending on seriousness of offense.

Incompleted Forward Pass.

If, after the first or second down, ball is returned to spot from which play was started, play to count as a down; if after the third down, ball to go to opponent on spot from which play was started.

NOTE.-If penalty is inflicted so close to goal-line that it would carry ball over line, ball is placed on 1-yard line. If inflicted inside 1-yard line, distance to goal-line is halved.

Changes in Rules.

The most important change in the football rules this year is that in regard to penalties for the forward pass. Instead of the ball being returned after an illegal forward pass to the spot from which the pass was made, it is returned to the spot from which the play was started. Under the present rules, a forward pass is illegal or incomplete; if it is made by a player less than 5 yards back of the scrimmage line; if it goes more than 20 yards beyond the scrimmage line before touching a player or the ground; if it strikes the ground within the field of play; and if it is touched by any men on the offence other than those at the ends of the line, and those playing 1 yard back of the line. The other changes are chiefly minor or technical, and affect the playing of the game very little.