A GLANCE AHEAD.

The score ended where it began, 0 to 0. The satisfaction of victory was again withheld from both sides and both alike regret it. But was our football season therefore a failure? Emphatically no. The real interpretation of the game on Saturday lies in its bearing upon Harvard-Yale games of the future. Looking at it from this point of view the CRIMSON offers to the members of the 1911 football team, the coaches, and especially to the College supporters, the heartiest congratulations. In that game we saw for the first time the beginnings of a spirit which, under the direction of Coach Haughton, we feel sure will, in one or two years, make it as hard for Yale to defeat Harvard in football as it is now for her to defeat Harvard crews.

In the past Harvard has been known to let misfortune early in the game repeatedly plunge the team into impotence and the stands into gloom. The very opposite was evident Saturday. With the ball inside Harvard's 10-yard mark early in the first period, the team, instead of allowing discouragement to slacken its play, made a splendid brace and outplayed an almost perfect machine in practically every department of the game. Better yet, our cheering and singing was more determined than has ever been given to any Harvard team. We feel confident that the splendid support thus afforded went far toward giving the Harvard eleven a fighting spirit that plainly outshone the well-known Yale grit. For Harvard to outfight Yale in any sport has been rare. To outfight her in football has never happened within the memory of the present College generation. It happened Saturday for the first time. And with a man like Coach Haughton (who stands for fight from the start) at the head of football at Harvard, we know that a new era in Harvard football is at hand. It may have been slow in coming, but one defeat, one victory and two tie games in four years make it plain that Harvard football is in the ascendency.