M. I. T. LOST CROSS-COUNTRY

UNIVERSITY TEAM SECURED FIRST THREE PLACES AND WON BY SCORE OF 32 TO 47.

The University cross-country team defeated the Massachusetts Institute of Technology over the old Technology course yesterday afternoon by the score of 32 to 47. Captain P. R. Withington '12, F. W. Copeland '13, and H. P. Lawless '13 won the three individual cups for the first three men to finish. Withington's time for the four and a quarter miles was 23 minutes, 22 seconds. In scoring, the first six men of each team were counted, each place counting its numerical value, the team with the smaller score winning. The University team won first, second, third, fifth, eighth, and thirteenth places.

The race started opposite the Highland Club in West Roxbury, crossing the Larz Anderson estate, and finished on the Technology Field near Brookline Village, where the last quarter of a mile was run on the track. H. P. Lawless '13, who finished third, took the lead at the start, closely followed by P. R. Withington '12 and F. W. Copeland '13. Several other men on the University team gained a slight lead over the Technology runners and at the Larz Anderson hill, there were six Harvard men leading. Withington now assumed the lead, with Copeland second and Lawless third. In the last two miles the Technology runners gained on the leaders, and Marceau of Technology was fourth when he came to the cinder track.

The men who scored finished as follows: 1, P. R. Withington '12; 2, F. W. Copeland '13; 3, H. P. Lawless '13; 4, E. T. Marceau, Technology '12; 5, H. M. Warren '13; 6, A. F. Nye, Technology '14; 7, C. A. Cary, Technology '12; 8, W. M. Tugman '14; 9, E. E. Ferry, Technology '12; 10, C. S. Lee, Technology '14; 11, R. T. Palmer, Technology '15; 12, R. D. Bonney, Technology '13. The other six members of the University team finished as follows: 13, C. W. Burrage '13; 14, F. H. Blackman '14; 15, K. Roosevelt '13; 17, A. J. de Gozzaldi '14; 19, H. L. Groves '12; 20, B. A. Edwards '14; 22, S. Nichols '13.