MUSICAL CLUB CONCERT

E. B. Hill '94 Finds Much to Commend in Last Night's Performance in Fogg Lecture Hall.

By E. B. Hill .

The Fogg Lecture Hall was well filled with an appreciative and sympathetic audience for the annual concert of the Musical Club last evening. The program was interesting, well chosen to show the capacity of the members and excellently contrasted. Throughout the evening the standard of performance was commendably high, and not only speaks well for the standards of the club, but also for the unusual skill of individual performers.

Saint Saen's septet for trumpet, strings and piano, formed the piece de resistance, a work which in spite of obvious defects has a strange attraction considering the archaic and persistently impersonal character of its musical sentiment. It is, however, well worth hearing, if only to mark the enormous advance in chamber music achieved by modern French composers. The performance was exceptionally good as to ensemble, especial distinction is due Mr. Anderson for his trumpet playing, and to Mr. Clifton for his sensitive and well-balanced reading of the piano part.

Where the performances throughout were of so high an order, it were invidious either to single out the most excellent features of the concert or to comment on short comings, but the violin playing of Mr. Kendrie in the Grieg Sonata, the singing of Messrs. Hanscom and Hancock, Mr. Moeldmer's interpretation of the Chopin G flat study, and the polished ensemble of the cerensky pieces played by Messrs. Davison and Moeldner, demand especial recognition.

The songs by past members of the club formed an agreeable element in the program. Of these, first mention should be given Mr. Foster's "On Beaches and Dunes" for its harmonic individuality and charm of original sentiment. Mr. Sweet's "Warum sind die Rosen so blass" was a close, second as regards sentiment and workmanship. As a whole, the club is heartily to be congratulated upon the signal success of its concert.