The St. Paul's Society will give a dinner in honor of the 50th anniversary of its founding in the Assembly Room on the Union this evening at 6 o'clock. President Lowell, Bishop Lawrence, Rev. F. W. Tomkins '72, rector of Trinity Church, Philadelphia, R. H. Gardiner '76, and other prominent graduates will speak, and an informal discussion of the purposes and plans of the Society will be held. This discussion will centre around the proposed plan of establishing a mission in East Somerville. It is the aim of the Society to co-operate with some of the people in that vicinity in the establishment of a church, and to develop an effective system of social service through boys' and men's clubs.
The St. Paul's Society was organized on September 17, 1861. Twelve men attended the first meeting. The meetings were at first held in the rooms of different members and later in the basement of University Hall. In 1872 the Society was allowed the use of Grays 17 and remained in these quarters until the Phillips Brooks House was completed in 1900. Since then, it has had two rooms there; one of these is used as a chapel and the other, the Noble Room, as a living room. Weekly conferences, Bible study meetings and social service work have been the chief activities of the Society.