REVIVE SWIMMING.

Swimming as a Harvard sport died in 1910. Since 1907 we have not entered the intercollegiate meet, and since 1910 we have not even meet Yale. The reason for this was not that Harvard lost interest in swimming, nor that swimming was deemed a superfluous activity. It was simply that there was no place to swim. That of all things was the most necessary for a swimming team. With the facilities then available, it was impossible to develop a team worthy to represent the University.

Today we feel the absence of this sport, and today we also have a means of reviving it. We have a tank. The Cambridge Y. M. C. A. tank, only a short distance off, 60 feet long, 20 feet wide, and 8 feet deep, is open to any Harvard man upon the payment of a very nominal fee. All we need now is the team, and we need that badly. Swimming is a sport that should not be neglected. It would give an outlet to a lot of the winter energy that is either wasted or is spent on gymnastics. There is room for this activity. It is one of the most prominent, and one of the most beneficial of the minor college sports. It should be started up immediately, and even if a team to swim against Yale is beyond us at present, certainly the beginning might be made with interclass teams. At any rate, swimming should be revived.