ALL-AMERICAN TEAMS PICKED

By Walter Camp.--Two Harvard Men, Fisher and Wendell, on First Eleven.

In the current issue of Collier's Weekly, Walter Camp of Yale announces his selection of the All-American football teams for 1911. Two Harvard men, R. T. Fisher '12 and P. L. Wendell '13 are given places on the first eleven. L. D. Smith '12 is selected for one of the ends on the second eleven. Yale and Princeton each contribute three men to the first team, while on the three elevens combined Yale has seven players, Princeton four, and Harvard three.

The three teams selected are as follows:

FIRST TEAM.

Ends--White, Princeton; Bomeisler, Yale

Tackles--Hart, Princeton; Devore, West Point.

Guards--Fisher, Harvard; Duff, Princeton.

Centre--Ketcham, Yale.

Quarterback--Howe, Yale.

Halfbacks--Wendell, Harvard; Thorpe, Carlisle.

Fullback--Dalton, Annapolis.

SECOND TEAM.

Ends--Smith, Harvard; Very, Penn State.

Tackles--Munk, Cornell; Scully, Yale.

Guards--Scruby, Chicago; McDevitt, Yale.

Centre--Bluethenthal, Princeton.

Quarterback--Sprackling, Brown.

Halfbacks--Morey, Dartmouth; Camp, Yale.

Fullback--Rosenweld, Minnesota.

THIRD ELEVEN.

Ends, Ashbaugh, Brown; Kallett, Syracuse.

Tackles--Buser, Wisconsin; Brown, Annapolis.

Guards--Francis, Yale; Arnold, West Point.

Centre--Weems, Annapolis.

Quarterback--Capron, Minnesota.

Halfbacks--Mercer, Pennsylvania; Wells, Michigan.

Fullback--Hudson, Trinity.

Review of Season.

Mr. Camp calls the season one of miracles, with a disappointing end, which he believes shows the necessity of four downs to give a sufficient test of superiority. He writes in part as follows: "The football season of 1911 will go down in history as one of miracles. In fact, aside from the sudden transformation of teams from losing teams to victorious teams, and vice versa, even the ball finally began to take part in the extraordinary happenings, and on one day, namely, the day of the Princeton-Dartmouth and Andover-Exeter games, in each of which games the ball performed what would seem to be a miracle, namely, running along the ground for a considerable distance and then bounding up over the crossbar. Then, too, the favorites in a very great proportion of the important games were returned eventually as the losers; nor was there any consistency about these upsets, but they came in most unexpected ways and upon extraordinary occasions. Not only were teams inconsistent in their work, but also individuals. Men who had played steadily through the season until some important game suddenly seemed to lose their perspective and, hence, their effectiveness. This was true in several positions. The principal contests of the year were won and lost through a fumble or a fluke. None of the other work counted.

Forward Pass and Onside Kick Ineffective.

"The forward pass has taken no more prominent position than of old; in fact in late games considerably less. It has resulted in disaster on one or two occasions in contests that meant a good deal. It has not been productive of any spectacular plays. The onside kick has been, as always, a matter of luck. There seems to be a wide diversity of opinion on the matter of the rules so far as physical injuries are concerned, which only a more careful analysis can really determine. Without statistical information it seems as if injuries to the hand, arm, and shoulder had been more prevalent this year than before, but injuries to the body or spine much less.

Four Downs Advocated.

"The season will certainly give rise to a very considerable discussion of the present rules, and a party that advocates an increased number of downs--four instead of three all over the field, or at least within the 25-yard line--will gain many adherents. The rules forbidding tackling below the knees and decreeing that the ball is dead when any part of a man except his feet touches the ground when in the grasp of an opponent should either be modified or enforced.

"In advocating four downs instead of three in which to gain the necessary ten yards, there is that which should always apply to rule makers, namely, a further extension of a principle we know something about rather than a plunge into the dark. Perhaps some football Napoleon could, even with the present three downs, so vary the play of his team as to thrust it along the field for a touchdown. I believe that would be quite possible, but the Napoleon would have too many other things to do--like tackling, passing, punting and getting into interference. Hence the Napoleons are too few to make the matter of any practical interest or value, and herefore we should find a modification which will enable the average quarterback to get some results out of his team, if that team has reasonably good plays.

Other Changes Suggested.

"As to other changes, we should-check the present continuous string of substitutions, allow no coaches to walk up and down the side lines or speak to the officials, and we should simplify the rules which require so much watching of five-yard and twenty-yard spaces, even though doing so may affect the forward pass and onside kick.

"If there be any additions or alterations, such as perhaps cutting out the kick-off or some special legislation relating to tackling that will still further lessen the liability to injuries, such suggestions should have the fullest consideration. But simplicity should be aimed at.