SITUATION IN TURKEY

Discussed by Rev. G. F. Herrick, D.D.--Second Lecture This Afternoon.

Rev. George Frederick Herrick, D.D., of Constantinople, delivered the first of a course of six lectures under the Hyde Foundation on the general subject, "Christian and Mohammedan," at the Andover Theological Seminary yesterday afternoon. His special topic was "The Present Outlook in the Nearer East."

Dr. Herrick said that while the Nearer East properly included no less than eight empires, he would confine his discussion to Turkey. To realize the present conditions in this country one must trace the course of events of the last thirty years.

The period of thirty years ending in 1909 was marked by destructive despotism and utter barbarism. A reform party arose, however, and the Sultan was forced to abdicate in 1909.

This reform party, the "Young Turks." had many problems to solve, but so much was accomplished in a short time that the whole country now seems to be on the way to better things. At this critical time, it seems the duty of every country to extend a helping hand. On the contrary, one nation is taking advantage of a blunder on the part of the Turkish government. There seems to be but little excuse for seizing Tripoli by Italy, and still less for the horrible slaughter of 4,000 men, women and children.

Second Lecture to be Given Today.

Dr. Herrick will deliver the second of his lectures in Room A of the Andover Seminary Building this afternoon at 4.30 o'clock. His special subject will be "Christian and Mohammedan: Their Past." The lectures are open to all members of the University and the public.