The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

CONCENTRATION OF RESPONSIBILITIES.

Each year we are confronted with the fact that the many responsibilities of undergraduate life are borne by comparatively few men. Under this arrangement a small number of very efficient men are literally swamped with work and duties of various sorts. This is not due to any lack of capable men, but to indolence both by those who might take an active part in some interest, and by those in whose hands many appointments are centered. It is much easier to sit passively by and agree or criticize than it is to undertake the responsibility of making decisions, and, consequently, to lay one's self open to criticism; it is also less difficult for those in authority to select men who have proved their ability in some other way, than to take the time necessary to make a selection from untried material. Nevertheless, with a more general willingness to undertake seemingly thankless tasks, and a wider distribution of such tasks, we believe that our activities would gain the benefits of active participation with no accompanying sacrifice of efficiency.