Changes in Football Rules for 1911

At the meeting of the Intercollegiate Football Rules Committee yesterday, several minor changes in the rules were decided upon. Only two of these will have a direct influence upon the game, the others being mainly with regard to duties of officials. These are: (1) A player turning to catch a forward pass must not be tackled until he has caught the ball; (2) if the ball, while in play, hits an official, it shall not be declared dead, but play shall continue.

The other changes are as follows: (1) The intermission between the first and second, and between the third and fourth periods, shall be two minutes instead of three; (2) teams may, by agreement, transfer the supervision of offside play from the umpire to the head linesman, in any case, the linesman shall report offences to the umpire; (3) throwing a player to the ground after the ball has been declared dead, is unnecessary roughness; (4) three men shall be allowed to walk along each side-line, instead of five as heretofore; (5) penalties for incomplete forward passes shall be enforced from the point of the down, not that from which the pass is made; (6) keeping time is delegated to the umpire in place of the field judge.