The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

"Different Phases of Engineering"

The Engineering Society held its thirteenth annual dinner with the Association of Harvard Engineers in the Assembly Room of the Union on Saturday evening. About 100 men were present at the dinner and were addressed by several prominent engineers. President Lowell did not attend owing to the recent bereavement in his family.

B. R. Green '64, president of the association and Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds, Library of Congress, Washington, acted as toastmaster and also spoke on engineering in general. The Harvard scientific school, he said, was one of the first two or three technical schools to be founded after West Point. In those days preparation for the profession of engineering consisted of a little mathematics, physics, drawing and surveying. Now the world is dependent on engineering, and one science is the basis of the profession. Physics is employed in all branches.

R. S. Peabody '66, of the well-known firm of Peabody & Stearns, architects, Boston, was introduced to speak on "Relations of the Architect and the Engineer." He stated that beauty is found in practically all of the moving structures of engineering, but it is usually the reverse in stationary structures. Many engineers build simply for utility without regard to looks. A cure for this is co-operation with architects, which are not, as many engineers imagine, simply employed to adorn buildings.

Besides these remarks, there were speeches by F. P. Stearns h.'05, past president of the American Society of Civil Engineers; Mr. W. E. McClintock, chairman of the Chelsea Board of Control; and L. W. Perrin 2G., president of the Engineering Society.