The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Teachers' Association Meeting

The Harvard Teachers' Association held its twentieth annual meeting in New Lecture Hall on Saturday.

At the morning session the following officers were elected: president, C. W. Eliot '53; vice-presidents, S. D. Brooks, A.M. '04, and A. H. Ward '85; secretary, Professor P. H. Hanus; treasurer, O. B. Oakman '87. To the executive committee, consisting of N. H. Black '96, Miss F. E. Leadbetter, W. B. Snow, and F. V. Thompson, A.M. '07, J. W. Wood, Jr., '98 was elected to succeed A. W. Roberts '81.

At the morning session the topic of discussion was: "Does the Present Trend toward Vocational Education Threaten Liberal Culture?" E. P. Cubberley, professor of Education, Leland Stanford, Jr., University, and Mr. R. A. Woods, A.M. '10, head of the South End House, Boston, read papers on the subject. Professor Cubberley showed that the growth of high schools and state universities in the past decade was due to the fact that the common man wished a broader education for his children than the classical curriculum formerly provided; therefore, agricultural and commercial schools are demanded by popular sentiment. Mr. Woods said the new ideals of vocational institutions tend to dignify the common trades by raising them to a science. Furthermore, these schools discover the students' abilities, stimulate initiative, and, because all are working toward a common end, bring teachers, alumni, and undergraduates into closer contact with each other. After these papers the discussion was carried on by Professor H. W. Holmes, W. B. Snow, Miss F. E. Leadbetter, and Professor W. A. Neilson, A.M. '96.

Between the morning and afternoon sessions the annual dinner of the association was held in the Union. After the dinner, the morning's subject was further discussed by D. A. Ellis '94, chairman of the Boston School Committee; W. R. Thayer '81, editor of the Graduates' Magazine; and G. S. Smith, president of the Boston Chamber of Commerce.