The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained

Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned

Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands

Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

Cost of Athletics to Students

In connection with the recent discussion as regards the cost of athletics at Harvard, a statement has been made that athletics are costing students in the University more than ever before. That this statement is not true is clearly shown by the fact that the pernicious practice of collecting subscriptions from students by candidates for managerships has been abolished this year by the Graduate Treasurer. That these collections were of no little significance may be seen from the following figures which represent the collections for the four years previous to 1910-11: 1906-07  $9,115.94 1907-08  $8,503.70 1908-09  $7,301.80 1909-10  $4,176.14

These figures show conclusively that the tendency in the last few years has been to discourage the collection of subscriptions from students and that the abolishing of the practice was not so radical a move as at first thought.

Students at Harvard are not only relieved from paying subscriptions, but have the further advantage of the H.A.A. ticket and the season ticket which greatly reduce the price of admission. In addition to this, there are many minor games to which no admission is charged. In a great majority of colleges throughout the country there is a regular athletic tax upon every student. At Columbia, for instance, it is $7 and it has been suggested to raise it to $10. From any such athletic tax students in the University are entirely free.