PRIZES.

As the final dates for the receipt of works in the competitions for numerous academic prizes fall chiefly in the late spring, it may be well to remind students of a means of distinction little understood by many undergraduates. The University will distribute this year as a reward for original theses, translations, musical compositions, and for excellence in elocution a total approximating $4,000. This amount is divided into single prizes varying from $25 to $500, payable to the authors of the best work or works in each competition.

On April 1 the contest for the Bowdoin Prizes closes. These prizes are given for dissertations in English, Latin, and Greek, the best English essayist receives $250, and the second and third best, $100 each. Dissertations in Greek or Latin must be translations of specified passages in English literature, and the rewards are prizes of $50. The Sohier Prize makes a liberal offer for English theses and the Philip Washburn Prize offers $75 for the best treatment of an historical subject. The leading Spanish scholar will receive $45, and the Toppan, Summer, and Bennett prizes of $150, $100, and $40, respectively, are awarded for the best theses on subjects dealing with various fields of political science. Men of musical ability may compete for the Francis Boott Prize for the best composition in concerted music or the George Arthur Knight Prize for instrumental music. For the best metrical translation of a Iyric poem by Horace $100 is offered, and "for the best thesis, embodying the results; of original investigation" in political economy will be given the David A. Wells Prize of $500. Seniors and Juniors may other the competition for the Boylston Prizes in elocution, Which are awarded at a public trial in May.

The above list, though not complete, show how wide is the field from which to choose. This field is so varied and extensive that every man should be able to find in it some subject of personal interest. To maintain the distinctive value of these prizes, it is essential that the competitions include the best talent of the University.