Panama and Its Possibilities

In his lecture last night upon the Panama Canal. F. Bishop 2G. showed not only the possibilities, difficulties and characteristics of the canal itself, but also the progress made by the government in reclaiming the jungle and making it sanitary and habitable for Americans and Europeans.

He defended the present lock canal system, saying that a sea level waterway was impracticable owing to the great depth of cuts thereby necessitated and the consequent danger of overwhelming sliders, the difference in tide level between the two oceans, and last but not least, the great river which would have to be cared for and which now furnishes water for high levels, water power, and electricity,--the last for towing ships through the canal and for running the broad-gauge railway left by the old De Lesseps Company.

In addition he illustrated by slides the present condition of Panama and Colon, the tremendous progress which American methods of sanitation have made in these old cities and the great possibilities for development which the country contiguous to them affords. There lies in Panama a totally new field ready to be exploited for America by American enterprise.