Prof. Lyon on Samarian Excavations

Professor D. G. Lyon, Ph.D., D.D., Hancock Professor of Hebrew and other Oriental Languages, and Curator of the Semitic Museum, will speak on "The Origin and Aim of the Harvard Expedition, with an Account of the Work done in 1908," in the Lecture Room of the Fogg Art Museum this evening at 8 o'clock. This is the first of two lectures on the Harvard Excavations in Samaria. Professor Reisner will give the second lecture on the work done in 1909 and 1910, on April 5. Both lectures will be illustrated by lantern slides and will be open to the public.

During the past three years the Harvard Semitic Museum, with the financial support of Mr. Jacob H. Schiff, has been excavating the ruins of Samaria, the capital of Israel. The site is so extensive that less than one-twentieth part has been excavated in three years' work. The chief aim of the operations, the recovery of remains from the Hebrew period, was reached in the second and third years. The objects found in 1908 were mainly of the Greek and Roman periods, the most important being a marble statue (probably Angustus), a large altar, and an imposing stairway. Professor Lyon spent the summer of 1908 at Samaria, and his lecture this evening, will give an account of that year's work.