HARVARD 2.

One of the most important departmental libraries in the University is that of History and Political Science, in Harvard Hall. Although the libraries in Boylston, Emerson, Pierce, and Robinson are kept open in the evening, Harvard Hall closes at 5 o'clock and books may be taken out at 4 o'clock. The result is that men who are unable to be at the library in the middle of the afternoon cannot get books. This proves a hardship for most athletes and other men who wish to spend their afternoons in regular exercise.

The CRIMSON is aware of the $50,000 deficit and of the fact that to keep Harvard Hall open in the evening for a year would cost several hundred dollars. True, this is a considerable amount, but why is it that philosophical, chemical, engineering, and architectural students should have more done for them than students of history and political science?

However, if it is absolutely impossible to keep Harvard open until 10 o'clock at night, certainly it should not be closed until 6 o'clock, and books ought not to go out before that time. Such a rule would at least give men with afternoon engagements an equal opportunity to secure books. Moreover, it can hardly be maintained that the expense incident to opening Harvard 2 for one additional hour is prohibitive.