Northfield Student Conference.

Communication

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I understand that the delegation of undergraduates to go to Northfield to the summer students conference is now being made up in the College, and I should be grateful, if, in the light of my own undergraduate attitude towards Northfield, you would permit me to say a word concerning it. As a student I thought of Northfield as an ultra-pious place, which promoted an abnormally emotional and provincial religious life. I exaggerated the conservatism of its theology and minimized the sincerity and wholesomeness of its spirit. After graduating I declined to go to Northfield as a speaker until last year, when I went with some misgivings and reluctance. But I then discovered that my impressions of the conference had little foundation in fact. I found a joyous, delightfully vigorous and magnetic atmosphere. The men from the various schools and colleges were a selected group, frankly and earnestly religious, but normally and intelligently so. The speaking was for the most part excellent; there was plenty of sport and recreation mingled with the Bible study and devotional meetings. I think every man who was there was glad that he had come and was the better and bigger for it. For my own part, I look forward immensely to going up to the conference again this year.  A. P. FITCH '00