NEW HOUSE FOR VARSITY CLUB

To be Erected at Northeast Corner of Union in Memory of F. H. Burr '09.

Within a few weeks ground will be broken for the new clubhouse of the Varsity Club, which is to be erected adjoining the Union in memory of F. H. Burr '09. Every effort will be made to have the building far enough advanced when College opens in the fall to allow its use in the late autumn for training quarters.

The plans for the clubhouse, which have been drawn by T. M. Shaw '00, provide for a three-story structure of Colonial type, following the same scheme as the Union building which it will adjoin on the Prescott street side at the end toward Warren House. It will be constructed of brick with limestone trimmings. The main part of the building is 36 by 72 feet, with a large porch on the westerly end near the main entrance to the Union.

The first floor of the clubhouse is designed for living quarters and will contain a large entrance hall, a grillroom, and a spacious living room. The hall will have a limestone flooring and will be panelled in oak about three-fourths of the way up the walls, the remainder being finished in stone. Four Doric columns and the staircase on the left of the entrance will be the chief decorative features of the hall. Opposite the main door will be the entrance to the living room, and to the right, the entrance to the grillroom, which will be done with a low dado of oak with an oak floor. Adjoining the grillroom will be a commodious serving-room. The living room, which will occupy the entire width of the building on the Prescott street side, will be 42 by 32 feet and one story high. The finish will be dark oak, and at the end opposite the entrance will be built a large fire-place of brick and tiles. There will be four large windows on the northerly side of the living room and two on the opposite side.

The second floor will contain one large and three small dining rooms for the use of University teams. On the third floor will be three chambers for the use of coaches, and three dining rooms for Freshman training tables and the smaller University teams. The kitchen of the club will be in the basement and there all the meals for the training tables will be specially prepared. Five hydraulic dumb waiters from the basement to the top floor will give quick service. The Varsity clubhouse will be entirely separate from the Union, but there will be connecting doors on each floor for use in case of need.

Above the fireplace in the living room it is proposed to place an oil painting of Burr. It was originally planned to erect a memorial tablet in the entrance hall, but this idea has been abandoned in favor of the picture.