DEGREES WITH DISTINCTION

Changes in Several Divisions to Take Effect With Year of 1911-12.

Several changes, which will go into effect with the beginning of the academic year of 1911-12, have been made by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences in the conditions governing the awarding of the degree with distinction. For a degree with distinction in History and Literature the candidate must hereafter present, for the approval of the committee, a plan of study which shall comprise at least eight courses, instead of six as formerly, selected form those offered in History and Literature; and the clause now reading "usually not including courses regularly open to Freshmen" will be changed to read "usually including not more than two courses regularly open to Freshmen."

In the Division of Anthropology the clause requiring "Four courses in Anthropology in the middle of the upper group" will be changed to read simply "Four courses in Anthropology"; and instead of the clause requiring "Three courses in the middle or the upper group, chosen from a list of selected courses in Semitic, Indic Philology, Comparative Philology, German, History of Religions, Philology, Architecture, Zoology, and Geology" will be substituted "four courses in related subjects, of which three must be courses not regularly open to Freshmen."

The distinction in Applied Mechanics will hereafter be called the distinction in Mechanical Sciences, and instead of the present requirements the following will be substituted: "Eight courses in science and mathematics, of which four must be in the Department of Engineering. The whole list must be approved either by the Division of Engineering or by the Division of Mining and Metallurgy, and the candidate shall study under the direction of the division which has approved his list. He is required to pass an oral examination before this division on the subjects presented for distinction." The following list has been approved by the Division of Engineering: Mathematics A, B or C and 2, Chemistry 1, Physics C. Mechanical Drawing (Engineering 5k), Mechanics (first course, Engineering 5k), and the equivalent of two full courses in the Department of Engineering from the following: Engineering Design (31), Surveying (4a hf), Railroad Engineering (4d), Mechanics (second course, 51), Steam Machinery (11a hf), Thermodynamics (12b hf)., Generation and Transmission of Electricity (16a). The same list has been approved by the Division of Mining and Metallurgy, with the substitution of Chemistry 3 for Physics C.

The course in mechanical drawing which has been known as Engineering 3a will hereafter be called Engineering 3k and will be withdrawn from the list of courses regularly open to Freshmen and made more advanced in regard to the instruction given.