THE PROSPECT UNION.

At this time, when the Prospect Union is just bringing to a successful close the academic year of 1910-11 it is well to call the attention of more undergraduates to the peculiar and valuable opportunity for social service that this institution presents.

The Prospect Union was organized twenty years ago by Professor Peabody to supply a needed phase of social service work in Cambridge. Its purpose is two-fold. First, as an educational institution it forms and conducts afternoon and evening classes in all grammar and secondary school subjects, and includes advanced practical courses fitting directly either for business or the civil service examinations. Secondly, as a club for men it offers its members, in a central location, 744 Massachusetts avenue, "a measure of the comfort that goes with a cozy living room, easy chairs, and good company."

With such a purpose the Prospect Union's possibilities are limited only by its resources. That it is a rapidly growing club the figures of its last report clearly show. In April, 1908, its total membership was 231, in April, 1910, its membership had increased to 440. This enrollment includes over 100 occupations, and now comes from over twenty surrounding towns. To meet its educational demands, last year over fifty classes were conducted,--meeting generally one hour a week,--and were grouped under such suitable headings as elementary, academic, scientific, college preparatory, and civil service. In all of these groups, excepting only the last named, instruction was given wholly by volunteer students of the University.

It has always been the intention of the Union to supply its instructorships from Harvard men. Thus it is that at the end of every year, when there are a number of instructorships left open by graduation, the Union is obliged to resupply. In addition to this, as a measure for growth, a particular search is made then for extra men, especially for those willing to undertake new courses. We would call the attention of every man in the University to the opportunity the Prospect Union here offers. As a social service work it is interesting and stimulating. As practical field work in education it is invaluable. Finally, we think that any man who elects an instructorship in the Prospect Union will soon grow to recognize his course there as the most permanently valuable one he is "taking" that college year.