Requirements for Honors Defined

The following new definitions for honors in Germanic Languages and Literatures and in Romance Languages and Literatures have been made by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences:

In Germanic Languages and Literatures the candidate must have a reading knowledge of Latin and French and must have taken five courses in the Department, not more than one of which may be a course ordinarily open to Freshmen, and three other courses in the Divisions of Ancient and Modern Languages, from among those not ordinarily open to Freshmen (but Greek B and Latin B will be regarded as acceptable courses). Work done in other colleges or privately may be accepted as the equivalent of some of these courses. The candidate must be able to write German with readiness and correctness; he must present a thesis on a subject approved by the Division; and must pass an examination, orally and in writing, on the general field covered by his studies.

In Romance Languages and Literatures the candidate must have a reading knowledge of Latin and German and must have taken five courses in the Department, not more than one of which may be a course ordinarily open to Freshmen, and three other courses in the Divisions of Ancient and Modern Languages, from among those not ordinarily open to Freshmen (but Greek B and Latin B will be regarded as acceptable courses). Work done in other colleges or privately may be accepted as the equivalent of some of these courses. The candidate must be able to read two of the Romance Languages and to write one of them with readiness and correctness. He must present a thesis on a subject approved by the Division, and must pass an examination, orally and in writing, on the general field covered by his studies.