A SWIMMING TEST.

The recent boating accident that resulted in the drowning of a Freshman emphasizes the need of more stringent rules governing the use of boats at the University boathouses. Under the rules now in vogue a student must sign a statement that he can swim at least 150 yards before he is allowed to use a boat. This is a very perfunctory duty and is thoroughly inadequate, as the recent accident shows. The ability to swim the required distance is entirely theoretical with no small percentage of those who go out on the river. To be sure one who gives his word that he can comply with the rules of the boat clubs takes his life in his hands when he goes out on the river, but it is the duty of the University to make rules that will insure students against accidents that are bound to happen from time to time.

The most obvious and apparently the most feasible way be making the boating rules reasonably safe is to require each man who uses boats from either one of the boathouses to demonstrate his ability as a swimmer before being allowed on the river. It is exceedingly to be regretted that the University has no facilities whatever for teaching men to swim, but this situation should make the University all the more exacting in its guardianship of those who go out on the river.