RESULTS OF GLIDER MEET

Tufts, M. I. T., and Cornell Winners in Three Events.

The first intercollegiate glider meet held under the auspices of the Harvard Aeronautical Society on its field at Squantum yesterday and the day before contained two classes of entrants: one of mechanically and the other of body controlled gliders. In the former event Tufts with 13 points was first and Cornell with 11 points was second. In the latter event M. I. T. with 13 points and Volkmann with 11 points were first and second respectively.

The Harvard glider on account of incorrect mounting on its skids was unable to make a flight.

While the contests in the different events were being conducted, W. S. Burgess '91, and Charles K. Hamilton made a number of successful flights in Wright biplanes.

The summary follows:

1. Mechanically controlled: (in the computation of which were considered efficiency, based upon the distance, duration, total weight, and supporting surface, counting first, 5 points; second, 3 points; third, 1 point; the getaway, control in flight, and landing, each counting first, 3 points; second, 2 points; third, 1 point):

First.--Tufts, 13 points; E. P. Bugbee.

Second.--Cornell, 11 points; C. H. Wetzell.

2. Body controlled:

First.--M. I. T., 13 points; Dalrymple.

Second.--Volkmann, 11 points; Lombard.

Third.--Swarthmore, H. Blumhard.

3. General control in flight.--Won by Cornell (mechanically controlled glider), C. H. Wetzel.

4. Greatest distance in single flight.--Won by M. I. T. (body controlled glider), 653 feet, 23 seconds, Dalrymple.

These results are subject to the sanction of the contest committee.