WITHINGTON TRACK CAPTAIN

Cross-Country Runner and Holder of University Two-Mile Record.

Paul Richmond Withington '12, of Boston, was elected captain of the University track team for next year at a meeting of the members of the team held yesterday afternoon. Withington prepared for College at the Noble and Greenough School, where he ran on his school track team. On his Freshman team he won second place in the mile against the Yale freshmen. During the past two years he has been a member of the cross-country team. Last fall he took third in both the Technology and Yale runs and was a good sixth in the intercollegiate run at Princeton.

His best work has been done this spring in the two-mile event, in which he holds the College record. This performance came in the spring handicap games, when he covered the distance in 9 minutes, 34 3-5 seconds, breaking the former record by 12 seconds. Against Dartmouth and Yale he had little trouble in carrying off first honors, and in the intercollegiate games he took fourth place in a record-breaking run.

Next fall he should be in good form for cross-country, and a repetition of his consistent work of this spring should make him invaluable to the track team in the distance runs. This summer he will run the two-mile in the international meet with Oxford and Cambridge.