Large Bequest to University

By the will of Mrs. Sarah P. Sears, late of Waltham, Harvard College, Radcliffe College, the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, the Waltham Hospital and the American Unitarian Association will eventually receive large sums from her estate, which is estimated to be worth several hundred thousand dollars. In the original will there are no public bequests, but after leaving $40,000 to each of her children she provides that, if her issue becomes extinct within 20 years, Harvard College shall receive $100,000 for the establishment of a professorship in philosophy, to be known as the Philip H. Sears professorship. The will further provides that the residue of the estate shall be divided in halves, one of which shall be divided between Radcliffe College, the Museum of Fine Arts and the Waltham Hospital, and the other between her grand-neices and nephews. In a codicil dated 1903, she adds $10,000 to the bequests to her children. She further bequeaths $15,000 outright to Harvard College to establish a scholarship in philosophy, to be known as the Philip H. Sears Scholarship; she provides that in case her issue is extinct in 20 years, $1000 shall go to each of her grand-nephews and grand-neices and the remainder of the estate be divided between Harvard College and the other institutions mentioned.