Football at Yale

Yale ushered in the 1911 football sea- son on September 14 with a record-breaking squad of players and coaches. Walter Camp for the first time in many years was present on the field on the opening day and expects to be with the team throughout the season.

In the past two weeks the time has been divided pretty evenly between rudimentary work in the first six days and strenuous scrimmages in preparation for the first game of the season with Wesleyan since that time.

Graduate Manager Everard Thompson has started constructing a new gridiron on the ground opposite Yale Field which Yale has recently bought. It is supposed that a stadium will be built in this site, but this fall it will be used as an auxiliary field. Some of the practice of the regular squad may be held there. The regular gridiron on Yale Field has been returfed and graded with an eye to per-feet drainage, and there is talk of saving this field for the scheduled games and holding much of the preliminary practice on the new gridiron. Yale men believe that an unusually successful foot- ball season is at hand. The coaching system is remodeled, the material is stronger than usual and Captain Howe shows promise of proving an able leader.

Howard Jones, formerly head coach, and former Captain Tom Shevlin will be here much of the fall. Walter Camp, graduate advisor, will be in town all the fall. His absence in California till the Brown game last year proved costly. Much of the credit for Yale's performance in beating Princeton and tieing Harvard is ascribed to Shevlin's coaching and plays he brought from the West. As Captain Daly of last year's eleven is at Williams as coach, he will not be available here during the season. The coaching staff is regarded the strongest ever gathered at Yale and the coaching plans the most elaborate.