BROOKS HOUSE RECEPTION

Excellent Advice Given to Freshmen.--Large and Enthusiastic Audience.

The annual fall reception to Freshmen at the Phillips Brooks House was held last evening, and was attended by an unusually large number.

Preceding the reception there was a meeting of the University Christian Association for new students. The speakers at this meeting were H. F. Root '18, J. B. Munn '12, F. B. Thwing '13, and A. Beane '11. They gave a general outline of the work to be carried on during the year and asked the co-operation of as many members of the class of 1915 as possible.

Then followed a small reception in the Parlor while the men were gathering for the large meeting in Peabody Hall.

The meeting was presided over by L. D. Smith '12, who introduced as the first speaker of the evening Professor Bliss Perry, who welcomed the students to Brooks House in behalf of the Faculty. He said that at first everything would seem strange and new to men just entering College. But he urged all to mix in College activities, feeling certain that soon the strangeness would wear off. College is simply a place where broader fields are opened, not a place where any radical change in life takes place. However, there is no place in College for bluffers. When a man enters the gates of the Yard he leaves behind all disguises and stands on his own merits. Professor Perry said that the best advice he could give was the speech which General Grant made to his soldiers when first placed at their head: "Go to your quarters." Go to his own quarters and get to his own work is what each student should do. He closed by wishing all good luck in their efforts for the good of the University.

A: Beane '11, Graduate Secretary of Phillips Brooks House, was the next speaker. He desired to straighten out the misunderstanding of Brooks House which all classes seem to have. Brooks House and its constituent societies are places of religion, but religion carried into satisfying practice. The two great things open to Freshmen in Brooks House are Dr. Fitch's Bible class and social service work. He asked as many as possible to attend all the meetings held under the auspices of the Phillips Brooks House Association.

Professor W. A. Neilson h. '96, in speaking, told the men to avoid being what are sometimes called knotiess threads, men who pass through College but leave no mark and do no service. There are many of these in each class, the chief trouble being that they have no definite objective in their College lives. One must stand back from one's ideal to get a proper perspective of it. Then, seeing clearly what it is that one wants, one has the first safeguard against being a knotless thread. It is difficult to select one object out of the many offered; but one worthy should be chosen and be given a man's entire force. A thing that is worth while should be done and it should be done hard.

G. W. Gray '12, president of the Advocate, spoke in behalf of the literary interests of the College. Candidates meetings will soon be held to gather new men to support the papers which represent Harvard in the schools and cities of the country.

R. C. Benchley '12 spoke for the Lampoon and kept his hearers going through contortions of merriment for five minutes. He said that the Lampoon candidates' meeting would be held Tuesday evening at 7 o'clock.

J. J. Gilkey '12 spoke as a representative of the scholastic side of College life. Scholarship is not a drawback to one in College, but rather should be the centre and end of College life. There are four courses open to the new students: one devoted entirely to study and no outside activities; one devoted to outside activities with no attention to study; one in which a man strives only for the gentleman's mark of C; and the fourth in which one strives for first group in scholarship and for a College "H". The first and second can easily be seen to be poor courses to follow; the third is like being satisfied with the third team when the first or second is possible; the last is the one worth while to follow with all one's might, for it leads to a good reputation in College and is a good foundation for life after College.

D. P. Ranney '12 spoke for the Musical Clubs, outlining the concerts given during the year and laying special emphasis on the Christmas trip of the clubs.

R. T. Fisher '12, captain of the football team, encouraged all Freshmen to go out for some form of athletics for the sake of the College and for their own physical good.

Between the speakers, members of the Glee Club gave selections. After the meeting refreshments were served in the Parlor