HARVARD VS. BATES TODAY

At 3 o'clock In Stadium.--Substitutes to Play Second Team Afterwards.

The University team will meet Bates in the first game of the season in the Stadium this afternoon at 3 o'clock. Bates was also first on the schedule last year, Harvard winning, 22 to 0. In that game the University offense was fast and brilliant, and the team work seemed well advanced for so early in the season.

This year, however, the coaches have not had as much opportunity to drill the players and it is probable that the teamwork will be comparatively crude. The slow field, heavy with yesterday's rain, will also do much to handicap the speed of the backfield.

Bates has played only one game so far this season, tying New Hampshire State College, 6 to 6. The University line has been shifted continually, Captain Fisher, Gardiner, and Huntington being the only players who seem to be at all permanent. At the ends Smith and Felton appear secure, both being experienced players and veterans from last year. The backfield is problematical, as yet, but all except T. H. Frothingham are "H" men Keays was on the 1913 Freshman team and last year was a substitute for the University team. Jenckes at left tackle played on the second team last fall but is comparatively inexperienced. The other tackle is Gardiner, who was left tackle and captain of last year's Freshman team.

The line-ups are as follows:

HARVARD.  BATES.Felton, l.e.  r.e., ThompsonJenckes, l.t.  r.t., HooperKeays, l.g.  r.g., BolsterHuntington, c.  c., ColeFisher, r.g.  l.g., ButlerGardiner, r.t.  l.t., ShepardSmith, r.e.  l.e., DanahyPotter, q.b.  q.b., RemmertWendell, l.h.b.  r.h.b., DennisT. H. Frothingham, r.h.b.  l.h.b., HillMorrison, f.b.  f.b., Dye