HOCKEY SINCE CHRISTMAS

DEFENCE STRONG AND FORWARDS ARE IMPROVING. PRINCETON SATURDAY.

During the three weeks of hockey practice since the Christmas recess the University team has developed rapidly in defensive work as was shown in the Princeton game last Wednesday. The attack, however, while it has been improving, has come much more slowly, due to the fact that the positions in the forward line have been unsettled. Up to the Princeton game it was doubtful who would play regularly at right end and as a consequence all four forwards have not been able to form a smoothly working offence. Until the Princeton game the passes from centre to wing were rather poor, and even now the men are not at all sure of their shooting, a defect shown in the last two practices against the B. A. A. With Pierce seeming practically sure of the right end position, however, by Saturday a much more effective offensive combination should go against Princeton for the second game than did last week; and by February 3, when the team meets probably the best team on its schedule in McGill University, the best possible offence should be ready.

Huntington and Sortwell who were not up to their form earlier in the season have made great improvement individually during the last two weeks, as has Willetts at point. The other men on the team have been playing good individual games all along.

The defensive work of all the men has been excellent. Not only has the combination of Blackall, Willetts and Gardner proved exceedingly hard to get by, but the forwards, quite in contrast to their work in the Technology game, have followed back, and covered in well about their own goal. Huntington has also broken up the opposing attack effectively, playing the rover style of game.