NEW NOMINATING SYSTEM

Freshmen Adopt Suggestion of Student Council for Choosing Class Officers.

The meeting of the Freshman class held in Lower Massachusetts last evening was very well attended, about 500 men being present. H. L. Gaddis '12 called the meeting to order and presented a plan which the executive committee of the Student Council has prepared for Freshman elections. The plan suggested is as follows: The executive committee will make nominations for the class officers, to which others may be added by petitions signed by 35 members of the class. These nominations will be announced several days before the election takes place, so that there will be plenty of time for the members of the class to discuss the situation. It is intended to get away from the old system of a mass meeting at which elections are made on almost no notice. The balloting this year will take place shortly after mid-years, and instead of the old system of voting, the Australian ballot will be substituted and elections will be held at the Lodge of the Class of '77 Gate, where elections of the three upper classes have hitherto taken place. Thus each member of the class will have time to consider his choice of officers and will not be hindered in his voting by snap-shot judgments which previous Freshman elections have called for.

A long discussion of the new plan ensued and it was adopted by a majority vote.