APPOINTMENTS OFFICE

Interesting Information Regarding Work Done in Finding Positions for Harvard Men.

In President Lowell's forthcoming report interesting statistics will be found of the work accomplished during the past year by the Appointments Office and the Students' Employment Office. The work of the Appointments Office is divided into two classes: permanent academic and permanent non-academic. In the number of appointments to academic positions, those to universities and colleges lead with a total of 122, private schools are second with 40, public schools third with 13, and finally technical schools with 10. English leads in the classification by subjects with 50, then History with 15, philosophy 13 and Mathematics 12. Under non-academic appointments, general manufacturing comes first with 42, public service corporations 14. Constructive and consulting engineering 12, and banking and brokerage 7.

The chief work of the Students' Employment Office, on the other hand, consists in providing temporary employment for graduates and undergraduates. Within the last year, the tendency of the Office has been to concentrate the work in the hands of the abler men, so that the total of salaries earned has been greater than in former years, although fewer men have actually secured positions.