CERCLE FRANCAIS PLAYS

Three Instead of the Customary One Will be Given This Year, January 18 and 20.

The Cercle Francais will present this year three one act comedies instead of the usual three act play. The three plays, "L'Echeance" by Meilhac and Delavigne, "Les Absents" by Alphonse Daudet, and "Permettez Madame" by Labiche and Delacour will be given in Jordan Hall, Boston, on the evenings of January 18 and 20 at 8.15 o'clock.

Tickets at $1.50 and $1 each may be obtained at Herrick's, at Schoenof's bookstore, 128 A Tremont street, Boston, and from J. Weare 2G.B., Dunster 23.

In view of the success of last year's production, "Les Romanesques," by Edmond Rostland, the Cercle will follow the principle of having the feminine roles played by women this year. The first of the three plays, "L'Echeance." is the story of an irritable Russian count who has an advantage over his rival for the hand of Mme. de Ternay, but yields finally in a typical French manner.

The story of "Les Absents" depicts the disorders which a well regulated house-hold is thrown into by the arrival of a long absent and beloved newhew. The author, Alphonse Daudet, displays in this play the same vivacious style and close observation shown in "Tartarin". The last comedy, "Permettez Madame," tells of the obstacles thrown in the way of two lovers, who, hindered by the obstinacy of their respective guardians, finally succeed in arranging their wedding. The situations in this play give a good idea of Labiches's prolific imagination, animation, and unceasing gaiety.