ARCHITECTURAL COMPETITION.

Intercollegiate competition began in the field of athletics and produced a prevailingly healthful intercourse between Harvard and its fellow-colleges. This has gradually drawn the University from an isolated position into closer and wider relations with its neighbors. Teams in almost every branch of sport represent us against rivals, and growing out of this the musical clubs of the various colleges give joint concerts.

Athletic intercourse has come to stay, but as athletics are not all of any college life, it is evident that Harvard should meet other colleges in other fields. To be sure, we already have a chance to come into intellectual contact through intercollegiate debates, but this contact is far too insignificant in proportion to the importance of our intellectual interests. It is an encouraging step in the right direction, therefore, when we see such a thing as the intercollegiate architectural competition, which has now been established through the generosity of Mr. Lloyd Warren of New York. This spring Harvard men will not only have to compete with other colleges in rowing, track, and baseball, but they must also cope with Columbia, Cornell, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Technology in architecture. Such intercourse ought to stimulate a feeling of companionship with other colleges, a fresh interest in architecture, and a new loyalty for Harvard in a new field.