REGISTRATION FIGURES.

The figures presented in this issue of the registration in the various departments are satisfactory so far as they throw light on the situation of the University. While mere growth in figures is not an essential index of increasing strength, it is gratifying to note that there have been additions to the considerable increases made last year. Changes in the rules regarding promotion in the College have somewhat obscured the meaning of the figures there. Apparently there is a large decrease in the number of Freshmen, yet such is not actually the case. Last year men with entrance conditions still to be removed were required to register with the Freshmen. This year, however, they may pass on with their class, and, as a result, the number of Freshmen shows a decided decrease. Nevertheless, it is probable that there are more regular Freshmen this year than last, although it is difficult to say at present how many new men there are because of those who are registered with the first year class on account of deficiencies in their College work. The registration in the Graduate School of Applied Science remains stationary, while the Graduate School of Business Administration shows a very considerable and gratifying increase in numbers. The popularity of this department is a tribute to its success. Although the Law School figures show a loss, this should not be regarded with apprehension for it was sustained among upper classmen and was due to the enforcement of high standards of work. In the past year the Medical School has made remarkable additions to its teaching force, and has more than held its own in numbers. The Dental School, like the School of Business Administration, shows a considerable growth. Surveying the figures as a whole, they are quite satisfactory. Though not showing rapid growth in numbers, they demonstrate the increasing stability and popularity of the various departments.