WITH THE OTHER COLLEGES

Yale to Play Lafayette.--Work During Past Week.

Strenuous work has been the rule at Yale during the past week, special attention having been paid by the coaches to tackling and handling of punts, in which departments the team has shown itself particularly weak. On Wednesday, Walter Camp, Jr., who has been prevented from playing until now by an operation performed last summer, joined the squad. He will be worked lightly for a few days, but it is expected that he will be in condition for the West Point game a week from tomorrow. Captain Spalding and Bomeisler are also taking part in the daily scrimmages in preparation for the hard game anticipated with the Army, which Yale is this year making a special effort to win. Regular games with the Freshman team have been played, in which the latter have proved very strong. The first team line has shown marked weakness on the defensive. Straight football continues to characterize the work of the university team, and it is expected that this will be largely the style of play used in the Lafayette game tomorrow.

Princeton Backs Adapted to Open Game.

Quite a different variety of game is apparently being developed at Princeton, where, unlike most of the other larger universities, no direct return has been made to the line-plunging game of former years. This is largely due to the fact that the backs are all fast, clever dodgers, who show up to the greatest advantage in an open field. A shifting new-style variety of play can therefore be expected, abundant proof of which was given both in last Saturday's game and by the fact that all practice throughout the season will be held in secret. All the regulars, with the exception of DeWitt, are now in the line-up, and in spite of a considerable slump during the middle of the week, the large scores run up against Stevens and Lehigh in the opening games leave little room for doubt as to the team's ability to handle Virginia Polytechnic.

Dartmouth Training Defence.

The Dartmouth team continues to use the old style football, which proved so successful last Saturday. However, in order to combat with any results the open style of play, much attention has been given the past week to breaking up forward passes. By the return to the team of Captain Bennett and Englehorn, which is expected in a few days, the line will be made even stronger. No heavy work has been done this week, but the team is playing together very well and Dartmouth men are confident of success in the game with Vermont this Saturday.