HARVARD, 30; BROWN, 10

UNIVERSITY TEAM'S GOAL-LINE CROSSED FOR FIRST TIME THIS SEASON.

The University football team defeated Brown Saturday afternoon, 30 to 10, because Crowther, the Brown quarterback, was not strong enough to prevent it. He started the contest with a run in from the kick-off of 35 yards and played to the end a brilliant and hard game. Until the last moments of the first period the game was nip and tuck, there being a continual exchange of punts in which Felton had a slight advantage over Henry. Then Hardwick received a punt on his 25-yard line and ran it in 15 yards; Wendell rushed 8 yards; Hardwick gained 20 yards around left end; Wendell and Brickley made 8 yards on short charges; and then Brickley kicked a goal from field, standing on the 35-yard line. Three plays later, Brickley intercepted a forward pass on Harvard's 48-yard line and ran to the Brown goal line for the first touchdown, being aided by excellent interference. Hardwick kicked the goal. There were only a few more plays before the quarter ended with a score of 10 to 0.

Trumbull Blocks Kick In Second Period.

In the second period of the game, ten more points were added to the University's score. Brickley tried for 4 goal but missed, giving Brown the ball on her 20-yard line. Brown made first down, but was penalized and tried to punt. Trumbull came through the line on a terrific charge, blocked the kick, and sent the ball flying over the Brown goal where Coolidge fell on it for the second touchdown. Hardwick kicked the goal. A little later Felton stood in mid-field ready to punt. The game seemed to stop, waiting for the kick. Suddenly he passed the ball across the line into Coolidge's arms for a 33-yard gain. Short rushes placed the ball on the 4-yard line where Brown held, forcing Brickley to try another drop. He stood on the 15-yard line and kicked a clean goal. Score, Harvard 20, Brown 0.

Each Team Scored in Third Quarter.

In the third quarter three points were made by each team. Ashbaugh stood on his 42-yard line and scored a beautiful goal from placement. It was on the kick-off after this play that Hitchcock was put out of the game for unavoidable use of hands. T. H. Frothingham took his place, and a few plays later saved what might have been another place goal by blocking the kick. Toward the end of the period, Brickley got away around left end for a 45-yard run. Three plays failed to gain first down, and so Brickley was called back for another drop and scored from the 25-yard line. Score, Harvard, 23, Brown 3.

Brown started the last period with a rush. Crowther swept around his right end and down the side-line for a 45-yard run to a touchdown. On this run he shook off several men who should have thrown him. Ashbaugh kicked the goal. It was now the University's turn to startle the spectators. A beautiful forward pass from Bradley to Graustein netted 50 yards and a touchdown from which T. H. Frothingham kicked the goal. This ended the scoring: Harvard 30, Brown 10.

Many Penalties for University Team.

Harvard's loss of 137 yards on penalties was due partly to over-eagerness on the part of the players, but partly, also, from the harsh administration of a rule which says there shall be no interference on a forward pass. Brown's formation for a kick could in no way be distinguished from that for a pass, with the result that the University players blocked every man on every play and received penalties. Comparatively little ground was made by either team in straight football, Harvard gaining 290 yards from scrimmages (but in this several long runs and passes counted), and Brown gaining 141 (in which a gain of 50 yards figured). Felton's punting averaged well up to 50 yards, while Henry's fell short of this by about 5 yards.

The summary:

HARVARD.  BROWN.Felton, H. Frothingham, l.e.  r.e., AshbaughStorer, Lawson, l.t.  r.t., Kratz, SimmsPennock, l.g.  r.g., Gottstein, GoldbergParmenter, Wigglesworth, c.  c., MitchellTrumbull, Driscoll, Withington, r.g.  l.g., KulpHitchcock, T. Frothingham, r.t.  l.t., Wade, MurphyCoolidge, O'Brien, Hollister, r.e.  l.e., Langdon, McLaughlinBradley, Freedley, q.b.  q.b., CrowtherHardwick, Graustein, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Bean, BartlettBrickley, Bettle, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Tenny, MetcalfWendell, Lingard, f.b.  f.b., Henr