OUR METHODS IN PHILIPPINES

MAJOR FINLEY WILL SPEAK ON MORO PROBLEMS IN UNION AT 8.15.

Major J. P. Finley, U. S. A., will speak in the Living Room this evening at 8.15 o'clock on "Moro Problems in the Southern Philippines, and the American Method of Solution." Major Finley, during a term as governor of Zamboanga, a city in Mindanao, one of the islands of the Philippine group, has succeeded in conducting a social transformation among ignorant, superstitions, and warlike Moros by the application of practical business ideas. By means of public gatherings at which the rudimentary principles of government and economics were explained to the natives, and by the establishment of a Moro exchange where they might peacefully barter goods, Major Finley has "turned savages into citizens" with almost unprecedented results. His work is very highly spoken of by Major-General Leonard Wood, and his talk this evening should be particularly interesting. As usual, the Union will be open to members only.

Mr. Burns Called Away.

The Union management regrets to state that, owing to an urgent business call to Chicago, Detective William J. Burns has been forced to cancel his engagement to speak this afternoon. It is hoped, however, that Mr. Burns may be heard at some later date.