HOCKEY PRACTICE NEXT WEEK

WILL BEGIN IN ARENA THURSDAY OR FRIDAY.--MEETING OF CANDIDATES.

There will be a meeting of all candidates for the University hockey team in Thayer Common Room Tuesday evening at 8 o'clock. Preliminary practice for the squad will begin at the Arena next Thursday or Friday. Before the Christmas recess only practice games will be played, the important contests all coming in January and February. It is very likely that there will be a three-game series with Yale and Princeton, two games of each series to be played in Boston. Negotiations are also under way for games with some of the fast Canadian teams which played here last winter.

Prospects for the Season.

Prospects for a strong team are very bright, notwithstanding the fact that six men who won their insignia last year have been lost by graduation. The building of a forward line will present the most difficult problem for the coaches. A. F. Sortwell '14, who was chosen left wing on the all-collegiate hockey team last year, will probably again play that position on the University team, and F. H. Palmer '13, who played in a majority of the games last season, will be a strong candidate for the other wing position. S. T. Hopkins '14, who was ineligible last season, will also undoubtedly be seen in the line-up. Other likely possibilities for the forward positions are S. Adams '14, H. N. Baldwin '13, D. R. Hanson '14, H. C. Morgan '14 and M. B. Phillips '15.

In the defence, coverpoint seems to be the only position in doubt. W. H. Claflin, Jr., '15, E. A. Graustein '13, P. H. Smart '14, B. B. Williams '15, and D. J. P. Wingate '14 will make the competition for this position extremely keen.

The rest of last year's defence is intact. W. A. Willetts '14, point on last year's team, is easily the first choice again for that position, and Captain H. B. Gardner '13 will remain at goal. His playing last year was phenomenal. As substitutes for this position, there will be G. M. Carnochan, Jr., '14, W. M. Washburn '15, and F. Wigglesworth '15.