DEVELOPMENT OF TEAM

Progress of Yale Team Much Handicapped by Injuries.

Yale's work throughout the present season has shown slow but steady growth. From a featureless beginning the team has gradually improved, adding strength, versatility and team work with the evident aim of reaching the height of its development in the last two games. The team's improvement was checked to a certain extent, however, by the omission of the game with Colgate, which was cancelled because of the death of T. W. York.

The schedule opened against Wesleyan on September 25, in which game one of the season's two scores against Yale was made on a drop-kick. In this and the next three games there was no necessity for strong offensive work and the defence met with little trouble. The West Point game on October 19 was the first hard test. In this game Flynn proved himself to be one of the foremost backs of the season, although his handling of punts was rather ragged. The contest with Washington and Jefferson was similar to those earlier in the season. Against Brown the team showed the effects of the failure to meet Colgate, and the visitors' playing was steadier, perhaps, than Yale's.

In the backfield Yale has several consistent ground gainers such as Captain Spalding, Philbin and Pumpelly. When once clear of the line, Flynn in a most dangerous man, and he can be relied upon in his punting. The pivot of the Yale line is last year's star Ketcham, who has further improved this fall. The end question has been a difficult one for the coaches, owing to the fact that Bomeisler, an all-American player, has been out of the game most of the season because of injuries. Avery and Gallauer have not proved as strong as was expected. The tackles are experienced, heavy men, but the guard positions have been rather uncertain. Wheeler has developed remarkably and is now the best quarterback available.

Although the Yale team has had difficulty in stopping some of the open and forward passes of its stronger oppopents, the men have been developed for hard line plunging to accompany their punting game, and may be counted upon to prove one of the most aggressive Yale teams that Harvard has ever met.