ANOTHER HARVARD DAY.

Playing in rare form and displaying extraordinary alertness and aggressiveness, the University football team, by winning a glorious victory from Yale on Saturday, brought to a successful close one of the most remarkable seasons in the history of football at Harvard. Starting the present year with uncertain and none too promising prospects, the team has developed steadily in to one of the strongest and most versatile elevens that has even been seen on a football field. Unstinted praise is due to the coaches for the memorable success which has crowned their efforts to develop a winning team out of inexperienced material. Coach Haughton, in particular, is deserving of the highest recognition. He succeeded in building up an alert, aggressive and clever eleven which was able to defeat team after team of superior weight and strength. Although the new rules have favored the crushing attack of heavy teams, Coach Haughton has taught comparatively light players to cope with this disadvantage through recourse to their greater speed and by alertness to profit by opponents' errors. For five years now the training of the football team has rested upon Mr. Haughton's able shoulders, and each year he has done the work of a master-coach. Two of his teams have defeated Yale elevens; two have taken part in scoreless ties; and only one has met defeat. Most remarkable of all, however, Yale has not crossed Harvard's goal-line in five years.

Certain features of Saturday's game stamp the 1912 team as the greatest of all Harvard elevens. Not only was it fast and aggressive and ever ready to take advantage of Yale's miscues; not only did it distinguish itself by fighting with as great determination and spirit as has ever been shown by any team; but it played one of the cleanest and most sportsmanlike contests of football ever seen on the gridiron. This victory over the hard-fighting, clean-playing Yale eleven was one of the greatest ever gained by Harvard and to Captain Wendell, who has proved himself an admirable leader, and to the players, who have shown pluck, courage and spirit during the season, we extend our congratulations on this final great victory.

Although the football game occupied our main attention on Saturday, the cross-country team's victory in the intercollegiate run must not be over-looked. A well-balanced and consistent team, it has won all its dual meets and is the first Harvard cross-country team to win the intercollegiate championship. To Coach Shrubb, who has had charge of the development of Harvard's runners, and to Captain Lawless, who has led them to such consummate victory, we give our heartiest praise.

Fourteen years ago, in the academic year of 1898-1899, Harvard was successful in every major sport against Yale. This year we have made an auspicious beginning toward a repetition of such a clean sweep. The opportunity now remains for the other major teams to follow the example seen in the football and cross-country victories.