"SOCIAL PROBLEMS" LECTURES

SERIES WILL BEGIN MONDAY AND WILL BE GIVEN BY PROMINENT MEN.

The series of lectures dealing with practical problems of the day which have been given at Harvard during the past two years will be continued this winter under the title of "Social Problems." The lectures will be under the auspices of the same committee of professors which has previously secured speakers to talk at the University in an effort to more closely connect Harvard with the social and political issues of the day.

Last year, under the title of the "Progressive Series," several of the most prominent exponents of political reform in the country, including L. D. Brandeis L.'77, William Allen White, Judge Ben B. Lindsey, and Gov. R. P. Bass '96, came to the University. The lectures which will be given during the coming winter, six or more in number, will deal in a non-partisan manner with many of the subjects of economic, political, and industrial importance immediately before the country.

First Lecture Monday.

W. S. U'Ren, of Oregon, the first speaker of the series, will address the members of the University in Emerson D, Monday. Mr. U'Ren has been known for many years as the foremost exponent in America of the principles of direct legislation, being the originator of what is called the "Oregon plan" of government control by the voters through the initiative, referendum, and recall. Dr. Harvey W. Wiley '73, former chief chemist of the Department of Agriculture, is also expected to speak at an early date.

Committee.

The committee in charge of the series is composed of the following members of the Faculty: Dean Briggs, Assistant Professor Copeland, Professor Davis, Assistant Professor Holmes, Professor Francke, Dean Gay, Professor Hart, Dean Haskins, Dean Hurlbut, Professor Johnson, Professor Marks, Professor Parker, Assistant Professor R. B. Perry, Professor Pound, Professor Ripley, and Professor Taussig.