B. A. A. VICTORS LAST NIGHT

UNIVERSITY HOCKEY TEAM PLAYED OFF FEET IN EARLY PART OF FIRST GAME.

The University hockey team played its first game of the year last evening, being defeated in the Arena by the B. A. A. team 7 to 5. At the start, the University was played off its feet, and a goal was scored against it within the first thirty seconds. This was followed by three others before the steadier play of the men made it possible for Hopkins to score near the end of the period. The remainder of the game was much more evenly contested.

The University forward line showed speed in getting down the ice, but the passing was slow and often very inaccurate. Excellent work was done, however, in penetrating the strong defence presented by the opponents. A further defect showed itself in the failure to follow back properly. The defence was steady, but by no means brilliant.

Sortwell was in the line-up for the first time yesterday, his presence greatly strengthening the attack. Hopkins, tht only player to score for the University during the first half, proved quick and accurate in his shooting. Brown and Claflin both played steady games, showing good headwork.

The line-up was as follows: HARVARD.  B. A. A. Hopkins, Baldwin, l.e.  r.e., H. C. Leslie '11, Osgood Sortwell, l.c.  r.c., S. T. Hicks '10 Phillips, Hanson, r.c.  l.c., R. C. Clifford '12 Morgan, Devereux, r.e.  l.e., R. Hornblower '11 Claflin, Gorham, c.p.  c.p., N. H. Foster '11 Brown, Rushmore, p.  P., H. Foster, Jr., '07 Carnochan, g.  g., G. W. Canterbury '01