HOCKEY TEAMS PLAY TO TIE

Score of 1 to 1 Ends Short Scrimmage.--Captain Gardner Back at His Place in Goal.

The first and second University hockey teams held a fast 15-minute scrimmage in the Arena last evening which resulted in a 1 to 1 tie. The second team easily held its own against the first, carrying the puck into the first team's territory with great frequency. The University forwards played a fast game in mid-rink, displaying excellent team-work, but were slow in passing and shooting when in range of their opponents' goal. The delay in this part of their play was responsible for the failure to score on several occasions when they had skillfully eluded the second team defence.

Shortly after the beginning of play, Sortwell got the puck in mid-rink and taking it down the ice unassisted, scored the University team's only goal. The second team's score was the result of some clever passing by Goodale and Gorham, the latter making the shot which scored the goal.

Gardner Out for First Time.

Captain Gardner took part in the scrimmage for the first time this year and played his usual steady game, making several difficult stops and allowing only one score during the entire 40 minutes of play.

The line-ups were as follows: FIRST TEAM.  SECOND TEAM. Hopkins, l.e.  r.e., Smart Sortwell, l.c.  r.c., Palmer Phillips, r.c.  l.c., Gorham Morgan, Devereux, r.e.  l.e., Baldwin Claflin, c.p.  c.p., Goodale Willetts, p.  p., Brown Gardner, g.  g., Washburn, Carnochan

Second Cut in Squad.

As a result of the second cut in the squad, the following twenty men have been retained: H. N. Baldwin '13, P. M. Brown '15, G. M. Carnochan '14, W. H. Claflin '15, S. P. Clark '14, J. C. Devereux '14, H. B. Gardner '13, A. M. Goodale '13, T. Gorham '13, E. A. Graustein '13, E. O. Handy '15, D. R. Hanson '14, S. T. Hopkins '14, H. C. Morgan '14, F. H. Palmer '13, M. B. Phillips '15, P. H. Smart '14, A. F. Sortwell '14, S. D. Stevens '15, and W. A. Willetts '14.

Second Cut in Squad.