MEN ENGAGED IN ATHLETICS

Nine Hundred and Ninety-Three Men Did Regular Work This Fall.

The number of men engaged in the various branches of athletics this fall is given in the list below. The figures represent the men enrolled on the managers' lists, and although every man did not report every day, the total is a very fair estimate of the number of men who did regular work on the squads.

Certain qualifications should, however, be made. The seasons for certain sports, particularly lacrosse and rowing were shorter than most of the others. The number of men who reported for hockey, swimming, gymnasium work, and fencing, which are properly winter sports are also given, so that allowance must be made in the total for a number of repetitions in cases where one man plays on more than one squad.

As might be supposed, the sport calling out the greatest number of men is football, 197 men in all being engaged in that form of athletics. Rowing is second with 153. Tennis is probably third, although no positive statement can be made in this connection.

The total of 993 composes roughly 43 per cent. of the total enrollment of the College.

Following in the list: Football Squads. Varsity,  37 Second,  45 Freshman,  55 Interclass '13, '14, '15,  60 Rowing. Varsity,  29 Freshman,  45 Dormitory,  54 Singles,  25 Baseball. Varsity and Freshman.  50 Track. Varsity and Freshman,  40 Cross-country. Varsity,  57 Freshman,  20 Soccer. Varsity,  38 Freshman,  26 Lacrosse Scrub series,  45 Tennis Fall tournament,  149 Hockey. Varsity,  40 Swimming. Varsity Squad,  40 Gymnasium. Team,  16 Class (irregular attendance),  100 Fencing. Team,  22 Total,  993