CHRISTMAS EVE RECEPTION

PRESIDENT AND MRS. LOWELL WILL RECEIVE STUDENTS IN THEIR NEW HOUSE.

President Lowell's new residence, although it will not be ready for occupation until January, will be sufficiently completed for him to move in temporarily during the recess so that he may give the Christmas entertainment there.

On Christmas eve, between the hours of 8 and 10, President and Mrs. Lowell will give a reception to all students remaining in Cambridge during the recess. The event will take place in the new reception room, and the evening will be made as cheery as possible.

The new building stands just above the present residence on Quincy street, and the simple and unaffected colonial plan of the exterior is preserved within, where the predominating some will be white. The woodwork will be of dull finished white enamel, wainscoating being used in the dining room, reception room, and entrance hall, in keeping with the colonial style. The doors will be made of dark mahogany, in sharp but pleasing contrast with the lighter colors about them.

This general plan will, however, be broken in the finishings of the library in the northwest corner of the ground floor, which will be finished in mahogany with a natural rubbed surface.

The building's main attribute of interest from the student's point of view will be the reception room, built on the north side of the dwelling, and arranged so that it may be completely cut off from it.

The wainscoating will be finished in dull white, with the walls and ceiling slightly tinted. The room will be lighted by means of five tall French windows, and contains a spacious fireplace. The walls will be generously hung with tapestry, which, together with the other decorations, will give the room an extremely homelike and inviting appearance.