TO SECURE REPRESENTATION

And At Same Time to Raise Position of Legislators.--Enroll College Men in Reform.

Mr. W. S. U'Ren leader of the political reform movement in Oregon, delivered an address on "Direct Legislation" before a large gathering in Emerson D yesterday afternoon.

Mr. U'Ren declared that the problems of the initiative and referendum involve the deepest principles of government. It has been asserted that the advocates of these measures do not believe in representative government. On the contrary, direct legislation is the only means of obtaining representative government. It is the aim of the measures to prevent the misrepresentation which has been so universal in our legislatures in the past, and to elevate the position of representative until it is considered a high honor. Never, until this state of affairs is brought about will there be good legislation and efficient administration.

Success in Oregon.

The plan has been eminently successful in Oregon. Measures which the legislature would not consider have been inaugurated and passed by the initiative and referendum. A total of 102 acts passed by the people, include the adoption of home rule for cities, proportional representation, woman's suffrage, corrupt practices act, and ballot reform.

As an educational factor, and as a school of government, the initiative and referendum cannot be overestimated. There has been an extraordinary increase in liberality, toleration, and, in the case of the single tax, commonsense conservatism in the state since the adoption of the measures in 1902.

Try to Enroll College Men.

The leaders of the movement hope in the future to enroll many college men in their cause, and to spread the propaganda throughout the country. If the manifest advantages of the system can only be brought before the people it will most certainly be insured of success.