FALL ROWING AT NEW HAVEN

Exceptional Activity Displayed by Yale Oarsmen in Season Just Closed.

Fall practice for the crews at Yale, which ended several days ago, was the most strenuous and thorough for many years. Nearly 200 men reported at the opening of the season and for the preliminary work which lasted about three weeks, all the crews used shells with stationary seats. Some of the more promising eights were then put in shells with slides and were given regular coaching.

The annual fall regatta was held on November 8, in which thirteen crews competed. The coaches were then able to choose a university squad of 30 men and a freshman squad of 24 men, which continued practice until the latter part of the past month. The Yale coaches are very much encouraged over the showing of these crews and the outlook for the spring.

The most radical feature of the present campaign to develop winning crews at Yale was the introduction of a new English-built, side-rigged shell, which has been given extensive trial in the fall work. The shell is an innovation in college rowing circles. The oarsmen, instead of sitting in a horizontal line over the keel of the boat, sit in zig-zag fashion in their sliding seats, a few inches to the right or left of the keel.

For the winter work at Yale the university crew candidates will be called out about January 20 and the freshmen before that date. The men will begin practice in the tank and on the machines, and the coaching will be concentrated on the inboard work of the men. The English style of stroke, adopted last year, will again be used. For the purpose of putting the oarsmen in sound, physical condition, setting-up exercises and long, slow runs will from a part of the early training. Of last year's crew, seven men are again available, Captain Remeyn being the only member of the eight to graduate. Two members of the our-oar crew also eligible this year.