BROOKS HOUSE REPORT

Graduate Secretary Issues Statement That Shows Work Well Done.

The fall report of the Graduate Secretary of Phillips Brooks House, reviewing the work which has been carried on by the Association since the beginning of the college year, shows great progress in all lines of activity. Seven receptions have been held in the house, at each of which there has been a large attendance, the greatest number of men, over 600, being present at the Freshman reception held on September 24. At both the Law School and Catholic Club receptions nearly 200 men were present.

In addition to the Associated societies and Bible classes which have met either weekly or fortnightly, with average attendance of 39 members, several other entertainments and lectures have been given. Among these was an interesting talk on the "Lawrence Strike" by Mr. F. J. Bagoclus. The University Christian Association held a "frolic" at the Cambridge Y. M. C. A. on October 24, and on Thanksgiving Day an extremely successful celebration, the first of its kind to have been undertaken, was held for all men remaining in Cambridge over the holiday.

Results of Clothing Collection.

As a result of the clothing collection held during the week of October 22, boxes of clothing and magazines were sent to nine hospitals and other charitable institutions. The text-book loan library has given out 321 books to about 125 men. The social service secretary also reports that 130 men have been acting as leaders of boys' clubs, 16 as juvenile court workers, and 130 have been giving their time as teachers. Finally, there have been several receptions of the Harvard Dames, as well as the first of the University Teas. Many minor meetings and conferences have also been held. The report is, on the whole, very satisfactory. It shows that the importance of Brooks House in the University life is increasing and not diminishing, and that the Association is gradually becoming the real center of all religious and philanthropic work, as well as assuming an important social role.